15.8.09

Wait, what?


I've been told that I "talk funny." Or differently. Or, if you're my sister, I talk "like a book." Which, I find funny because I always talk when I write. That is, I say things as I'm typing them, so my writing often reflects my speech. I just never thought it could work the other way around as well.

Anyway, it has come to my attention that, yes, I do use words differently. Or use words as I have come to understand them (which is often wrong). But there are some words and phrases that I fully understand and irk me when I hear people say them.

So here's my placeholder blog/rant about things that I have actually witnessed people say that make me stop and go, "Wait, what?":

1. came out of nowhere

This is usually used by some new-licensed teenager describing the events leading to cause of the dent in their parents' car. I swear, I was being careful but this truck came out of nowhere and just BAM! Sorry to disappoint you, kid, but the truck (or whatever) did, in fact, come from somewhere. It had to. Everything comes from somewhere. Nothing comes from nowhere. You just didn't see it.

For it to "come out of nowhere" or "come from nowhere," the truck would have literally had to materialize before your eyes seconds before impact. And even in that case, it existed somewhere before being hurled through the space-time continuum and hitting you. And even then, it still came from somewhere. Some place. Some time. Some date. You just don't know where/when that is.

Or is it because you didn't see it, it didn't exist in your mind until it was damaging the paint job on your daddy's new toy and forever crushing your chances of extending your curfew? And if that's so, that's quite... interesting, actually. Things we don't see, don't hear, don't experience can't exist to us. Right?

Whoah, I'm getting off subject here. I talk with many tangents and, like I said, it's reflected in my writing. Right then, back on target:

2. alone together

I heard this on some trashy teenage drama one night in my dorm. Alone. Together. Textbook definition of oxymoron. Yet, it's still used. Usually, by some seductive female lead trying not to break her newly-botoxed face(less she expose the fact she's really 26 still portraying an 18 year old) as she strategically strokes the arm of the overly muscular male lead who seems to have a problem keeping his shirt on. Which begs the question: Shouldn't you know better than to use phrases like that?

3. you know

You know how people overly use a certain word or phrase? Like.. uhm.. kinda how.. you know? Or use said word or words as a period and you're left wondering if they're actually finished or have just misplaced their train of thought, you know. So, there you are, trying to remain cordial and not cut them off but you're just staring at each other, you know. My usual response is, "No, I don't know," you know? Hence the reason we're discussing, you know?

---

There are more. But I would have to hear them and be reminded. And I know I'm guilty of saying things that are incorrect as well. Very often, in fact. But I try to correct myself. Try. Sometimes.

.:~o*'Kaylyn'*o~:.

No comments: