1.11.09

NaN-Uh Oh


[Warning: This is written in as a stream of conscience at multiple intervals until I reach a respectable word count.I'm curious.]

Nov. 1
7:09p

Well, after weeks of pep talks and planning, it's finally here! November first. The official start of NaNoWriMo. And while I didn't hack out thousands of words that had been building for weeks at the stroke of midnight (Haha. Very far from it, actually), I still feel the excitement boiling over.

Hot coffee? Check.
Slow music playlist on? Check. (Jason Mraz!)
Scribbled notes of the past few days? Check.

Let's go!!!

7:11p
The blank page of the Word window stares back at me, the blinking cursor seeming to be screaming: "WRITE!!!" It may as well be a flashing neon sign. It blinks like one anyway.

What should my first word be? What do I want it to be? How do I want to start what will eventually become a 50,000 novel by the end of a month?

Wildfire.

7:15p
Header? No header. Page numbers? No page numbers.

Page numbers.

No page numbers.

Novel title as a header?

Page numbers.

7:21p
The sweet sound of tapping keys is soothing. I'm accomplishing something. Something.

With the music, coffee, and laptop I feel a bit pretentious. Maybe I should be in a coffee shop... Wanna watch me write?!? Sure!

Well, maybe not so much pretentious as cliche. Yet somehow right. It's odd.

7:32p
Word count: 76.

Stupid AIM. "Stop IMing me!" No, that's mean.

Away message?

No away message.

Invisible.

No invisible.

7:36p
Note to self: PRESENT. TENSE.

That is all.

7:54p
How the fuck did Rachel write 2818 words in one day?

8:09p
No Doubling Back. How appropriate.

8:17p
217 words. This is depressing.

8:18p
As if on que, text from Chris Taylor: "Word count? :-)"

Response: "A dismal 217. :("

8:21p
PRESENT. TENSE.

8:28p
No music. Too distracting.

8:31p
Just took the biggest sip of cold coffee. Not pleasing.

As I write this, I'm reminded of Twitter for some reason...

8:43p
Begin concentrated writing hour.

Invisible.

No response to texts.

Playlist set.

Just writing. One hour...

8:58p
2 unread text messages.

It's so tempting.. But I am not removing my hands from this keyboard for another 50 minutes.

9:11p
I just realized I haven't been saving this document.

Wow.

To the desktop with you!

9:19p
TWO PAGES!

There's something oddly satisfying about writing a line of text and having it unexpectedly roll over to a second page. It's like a well-welcomed surprise.

545 words. This concentrated writing hour is working.

9:32p
Phone call... Hmm... Decisions, decisions.

It's Alexis. Oh, may as well.

9:46p
Mandatory power hour completed.

Word count: 845. Halfway!

9:56p
Heart attack. After four beautiful, instrumental songs on the "Disney" playlist, Timon and Pumba's "Hula" just scared me half to death.

10:12p
Page three!

Word count: 1073

10:18p
...I just coded text. I literally just enclosed text in html tags.

Shows how often I write in Word.

10:29p
Hmm.. my computer doesn't know the word "hardass".

Neither does Blogger.

I know I've heard the term... :/

10:58p
Apparently, "mic" is not the correct abbreviation for microphone.

Word is so strange.

11:02p
I'm going to cut Rachel.

11:32p
Thoughts drained.

Final word count for day 1: 2152

.:~o*Kaylyn*~o:.

No comments: