3.2.10

No, seriously, who dat?


I just don't get it.

This sudden fascination or obsession, really, that everyone seems to have with the New Orleans Saints now that they don't actually suck anymore. This abrupt change of heart can only be described as Saints-fever.

And it seems like I am part of a microscopic minority that has not been infected.

Don't get me wrong, I like football. Every year, I try to catch the Super Bowl no matter who's playing (for the commercials, if nothing else). And half time. Always gotta watch half time. And, when my family can't travel to Texas, we still tune in to the Dallas Cowboy game.

It's frustrating to think that after Feb. 7th, it really won't matter anymore. If the Saints win... Yay. If they lose... Well, isn't that what we're all expecting anyway? Win or lose, LSU will still have school the next day. And life will resume.

I don't understand why people choose this one single event to cling to for a moment of happiness in their life. "This is important for the state of Louisiana!" they say. "This is first time we've really been on the national map since Katrina!" And? Who says we need the attention anyway? Can you quantify this new-found Saints fandom in anyway? What are we gaining from this? A short-lived happiness? For a whole year, you can now interject any sports-driven conversation saying, "Hey, I'm from that state!" Wow... Big change.

No matter how hard you cheer, Drew Brees will not hear you in Miami.

Don't get me wrong, the city of New Orleans is... entrancing to me. I plan to be married there. I'd love to live there. But I refuse to jump on the bandwagon and ride it to Miami simply because my driver's license reads "LA".

I just won't do it.

I don't feel like I need to.

I was happy when the Saints were losing. (There are about 1000 other reasons for other states to look down on Louisiana anyway) And I'll still be happy if they somehow become a Super Bowl-winning team.

Football does not make me happy. It never has. And I doubt it will.

It's the people. You. Him. Y'all. Us. Together. That's what makes me happy. And I as long as I have that, I say Who Dat? Who Cares?

.:~o*'Kaylyn'*o~:.

No comments: