11.11.10

More Story Time


I stood between Ellie and the bandits. Her small fingers clung to the back of my shirt. From behind my back, she peaked out at the group of men ready to kill us.

"What are you going to do?" she asked in a quiet tone.

"Yes, Evergard," the leader chimed in. "What will you do? Would you really expose her to such bloodshed? Make her endure the sight of your cold corpse?"

Ellie dug her fingers further in.

My heart was pounding. I was certain I could exterminate these men with little difficulty, but I had to protect Ellie.

"I won't fight you all," I said at last. They all grinned in delight.

"That makes this easier," said the one who had twisted Ellie's arm. He began reaching for his weapon.

"I haven't finished... I only wish to fight the best among you."

They exchanged glances. Then the leader asked, "And what makes you think we care about your wishes?"

I smirked. "Simple: You gain the honor of saying you bested Quinn Evergard, nephew of the emperor, legendary swordsman. Just ask your man there."

The leader looked towards the frightful one. He nodded. The leader began to stroke his chin. "Is that all then? A story--that is the grand prize? I--,"

"You get me. If I lose, I'll be your slave."

Ellie squealed. "Brother, no!"

They all laughed. "Take it, boss!"

When they were finished laughing, the leader spoke again. "High stakes, Evergard. And if you win?"

"I'll spare all your lives. All I ask is that you leave these lands. If I catch you stealing from the good people of my uncle's empire again, I shall have you imprisoned and sentenced to the full extent of the law."

The fearful one's eyes widened. He knew the punishment for thievery.

"Do we have an agreement, gentlemen?"

They thought it over for a moment. One of his men was too afraid to face me. "I am not fit to cross blades with him," he said. He laid his weapons down in the dirt as a sign of peace. I noticed he had a sword strapped at his side but he produced a dagger from within his boot. Disappointed at his lack of courage, the leader thrust the reigns of his horse towards him. He gladly took them and led the animal away.

"Guess I'll be fighting you, then. However, I have a condition of my own."

I gave him a curious look. The audacity! "Oh?"

"The girl. She stays with him," he pointed to his rougher inferior. "I want to be sure there will be no tricks from you. A fair fight: She won't be harmed as long as you don't try anything."

I could feel Ellie trembling behind me. "Please..."

"Do I have your word on that?"

"On my honor."

"Deal." I turned towards Ellie to see tears running down her cheeks. Her eyes pleaded with mine. She shook her head slowly, her fingers holding tightly to my forearms. I walked her over to where the other man was standing very slowly.

He took her somewhat roughly.

The blood ran hotly through my veins. "If you harm one hair on her head, so help me..."

He grinned. "Then I suggest you be on your best behavior."

I drew my weapon, "Ellie, shut your eyes."

.:~o*'Kaylyn'*o~:.

3 comments:

Seraphim Chih said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! Moar! Moar! Moar!

Isianya said...

Uhm... Do you need a moment, Chih? Maybe a cold shower? :P

Aaron said...

WTF. WHY DID YOU STOP THERE.