29.9.08

Will ye go thither with me?


So, I'm a part of the Lacumba Players here at school. Which is just big, fancy college-talk for drama club. The most exciting part undeniably is being able to act on a real stage, inside a real auditorium, with real lights bearing down on us. Our current project is Everyman, a medieval morality play. It's... quite enlightening.

Here's Everyman in 5 mins (by me):

God: -looks down on Earth- "Oh hell no! I died for these bitches and here they are lying, cheating, stealing... Just spitting on my commandments! Uh huh. I don't think so. Death, bring your ass!"

Death: "Yes, your Lordship?"

God: "You go down and grab Everyman. We need to have a 'talk.' Got it?"

Death: "Certainly, my king! He'll never see me coming..."

-Death descends to Earth-

Death: "Where you think you going, Everyman?"

Everyman: "Excuse me? Who are you?"

Death: "You mean you don't know?"

Everyman: "UH.. no."

Death: "I'm DEATH! And God is pissed. Y'all need to have a chat."

Everyman: "Oh snap.... Heh heh, let's say I give you this $20 and you turn around. Let's just try this again in about twelve years. Hm?"

Death: "I don't think so. Let's go."

Everyman: "Whoah, whoah! Can I at least take some people with me?"

Death: "Psht. If you can find someone. Suuuure. Bring 'em all to God! You have one day."

-exit Death-

Everyman: "Damn. God. Death. Who to take? Who will come? Ah, yes, my family! A-yo, cuz! Wanna go to God with me?"

Kindred: "Nah. I don't see that happening... You on your own, buddy."

Everyman: "Damn. At least I still have my goods (worldly possessions)! Let me just gather them all up..."

Goods: "Yeah... No. I'm just property. I have deceived you, don't you see? You spent all this money and time on me. And now I am leaving you. See ya!"

Everyman: "Played."

Everyman: "What now?"

Good Deeds: "I'll go to God with you..."

Everyman: "Really? Sweet. Let's go!"

Good Deeds: "Not yet. I'm a little weak... You know you ain't done enough good deeds, homie. So, uh, yeah, take my sister. Maybe she can drop some Knowledge on ya."

Knowledge (Good Deeds' sister): "You need to go to Confession before you can holla at my sister. You ain't good enough yet to even be seen with her."

-Everyman and Knowledge go to Confession-

Knowledge: "Get on your knees and start praying."

Everyman: "Oh blessed Confession! Heal me so that I can holla at Good Deeds. She a dime, son!"

Confession: "Uh... Here. Take this. It should help."

Everyman: "A whip?"

Confession: "Yeah. You gon pay what you owe, Everyman!"

-commence beating himself-

Knowledge: "Now, you are ready."

Good Deeds: "I liiiiive! Let's go to God now."

-blah blah blah Discretion, Strength, Five Wits and Beauty crap out blah blah-

Everyman: "I die."

Doctor: "Damn, another dead body? Damn... Listen up, y'all! As you can see, you can't take anything with you but your Good Deeds. So, be ready. Because you never know who your real friends are until it's time to die."

END

So all the time we've been spending with this piece, I've had time to internalize the characters, decipher the lines, and generally understand what the Church was trying to teach the people of the Middle Ages. It's a good message, really. Because, honestly, who would go with you down Life's hardest roads? Sure, your family says they would. Your friends. Your lover. But would you go to God (or death) with those you claim to be close to?

One of the fellow actors in this play asked me if I would die for those I call friends now. Without missing a beat, I said yes. I began thinking of all that I have done for my friends and loved ones. The assignments, the sneaking-out, the lies, the road trips, the late night/ early morning phone calls... So much to others. And yet nothing to me. And all I've asked for in return is companionship.

Right now, I honestly wouldn't mind dying for a friend. Because I don't use the term lightly. If you are my friend, you've obviously proved to be something extraordinary. Someone who has proved to be dependable. Someone special. And I hope that, in return, you can say the same about me.

.:~o'Kaylyn'*o~:.

P.S. - I'm dying tomorrow. Any takers?

1 comment:

PHANatik said...

"mightst thou take a gander under my frock?" haha sorry, u jux reminded me of family guy