5.3.10

Of Windows and Mirros


So, my 11:30a class got canceled today. And I have a bit of time before my 12:30p class. 7 mins to be exact. But, anyway, after a conversation with my sister, I have these thoughts I wanna put down for now and I'll clean this up later.

Basically, I told my sister the events of this past weekend. My godson's 2nd birthday. Some dude named Andre. My boyfriend cheating on me. The whole thing.

Her response wasn't what I expected. Or, rather, not what I wanted. Instead of shock and disappointment, she responded with general curiosity and seemed to enjoy playing the role of Devil's advocate. Or, I guess, in this case, Nikki's advocate. She said, "Well, I mean it's not really my place to tell you who to be with and whatever... but I guess where she was coming from is kinda what everyone was thinking when you brought Chris home. You know? People see you and then they see him. But, you know, they don't see what you see in him." (or something to the effect of that)

And this kinda struck me because, well-- for one, she's right. I don't see why anyone can't see what I see in him. And I don't understand why. He's sweet, charming, funny, creative, imaginative, and, oh, those eyes... But why is it that no one else seems to see this? According to my sister, they see older. Period. And, she says, he never really seems to be as great as I make him. She says, he's a bit boring when she meets him. And quiet. I try to explain that he's usually tired from working or I've woken him up early to come hang out in the day.. but she doesn't get it.

So, I guess my question/thought is: If the eyes are the windows to the soul, can they also function as mirrors? Can we get a reflection of someone just by looking at them or a reflection of ourselves in someone else's eyes?

Case and point: When I look into my boyfriend's eyes, I see him. I see me. I see love. I see a me that he imagines. The me he loves. But I don't know if I necessarily live up to that in anyone else's eyes...

I dunno. This is very messy and I will clean it up later because it's 12:32p and I have to go now. I just needed to get this down.

No comments: