6.11.07

Underestimation

"My lord, the armies are marching," the commander said breathlessly.

Henry, the ruler of the soon to be invaded lands sighed heavily as he tore himself away from his desk. Signed, unsigned and unread papers scattered the structure. He had been pouring himself over his work like he did nearly every night over the past few days. "Not to worry," he said dryly, "they'll never get past the southern wall; it's impenetrable. We'll have the armies ready by morning and--,"

"But, my lord," he interrupted, "the armies have breached the southern wall. And it is morning."

It was then the commander went to the window. In one swift motion, he drew back the curtains. A steady stream of bright light filled the room. Henry remained unmoved. It was as if the light didn't phase him at all. "What am I to do? My father leaves the kingdom in my care for two weeks and it will be destroyed before he returns. Send word to my brother. Immediately."

"Henry, are you sure? As the eldest son, you have a duty to--,"

He brought his fist down hard on the table with a loud thud that echoed through the room. With piercing gray eyes, he shot a look of rage at he commander. "Do not remind me of my duty to this kingdom! Now, send for my brother."

The commander bowed lowly. "As you wish, my lord."

With that, he left Henry to his thoughts as he went to find the next heir. Brian was his name. He was younger than Henry by nearly six minutes; making Henry the legal heir to the throne. But the boys had a strong connection. There seemed to be no decision Henry made without consulting his brother first. The advisers highly suggested against this. It wasn't right for the eldest son to turn to his younger brother for help. Especially on matters of state. But with the armies marching, what choice did they have?

"Lock the doors, Brian," he said without looking up from his desk.

He turned and obeyed before taking a seat across from his brother, the King in their father's absence. "Henry, the commander says you sent for me. What is it?"

"Have you not heard? The armies are marching, Brian. They've conquered the southern wall! I...I don't know what to do. It should be you here instead of me. You--,"

Brian smiled. It was only when the two were alone did Henry show his true feelings; his weaknesses. "My dear brother, you underestimate yourself yet again. I will help you through this but you mustn't panic. Now," Brian stood and held his hands out before Henry, "Give me your hands."

"I don't know what I'd do without you, Bri--,"

Brian's eyes were closed as if he were concentrated on some invisible force. "Shhh! Your hands, Henry."

He obeyed.

"Heh, two born under the powers of the sun..."

"One who sees all..."

"And the other sees none."

As his hands rested against Brian's palms, the room became silent. Then, very softly at first, Brian began to sing an old chantment. The song was hardly above a low grumble at first, then grew stronger as he gently squeezed his Henry's hands. A bead of sweat formed above Brian's brow; his eyes clenching tighter together. He began swaying from side to side, singing faster and faster as if possessed by some unseen spirit. With great force, Brian was repelled from his brother in a burst of light. He sank back into the chair across from Henry and breathed heavily. "Heh, I almost forgot how tiring that could be."

"Well... What did you see? Will the armies prevail? What will happen to the kingdom? Brian, what did you see? Tell me."

After a moment's pause, he took a deep breath and began. "Yes," he said, "I have seen the battle. But it is unlike anything I have seen before. This general is fueled by more than greed. He fights for more than fame and glory. Henry, he fights for revenge."

"Revenge?" He nodded. "It is as if his soldiers have no hearts. They cut down anyone who stands in their way... I saw babes ripped from their mother's arms and slaughtered. I heard their cries of anguish and despair just before the order was given to..."

"It's alright, Brian. I understand it is too much for you." Henry said gently. "But I must ask you one more question, brother. Can I defeat him?"

"I don't know," he sighed. "But be warned, Henry, do not underestimate him. I can assure you the moment you begin to get confident, the gods will strike you where you stand. They are not pleased with your advantage. And that is why they have not shown me the result of the battle. I do not know who will have the last blow. But the gods have made it perfectly clear that someone will die before the sun sets this day."

.:~o*'Kaylyn'*o~:.

No comments: